Tuesday, September 21, 2010


'tis the season! I like this sweet recipe that my sister Kami gave to me. It's yummy! Lots more work ahead of me. The Apple tree is full of apples to be dried and the peaches are spoiling fast. Not to mention my 3 little helpers need cared for.

Speaking of helpers how do you teach your kids how to work? Here's a few tips that I found work for my kids:

*Music
*Face card game (they pick up what the card says to pick up example: 5 is 5 things. Jokers are a treat and I put one King and one Queen in there when they get to tell me what to do and be King for the day)
*Job charts (only sometimes work)
*Routine (which I am terrible at)
*Tape recorder (mother-in-law's idea...you record on a tape player what jobs to complete and then when the kids perform the job they can push play again)
*Drill Sargent-I am the sarg. and they are the kaddets and I give orders and reward the good and discipline the bad-5 push ups.
*Bribes (candy, movie, surprise, etc.)
*Just ask...is it really that easy? Not in my family. I need some new ideas!

They are good little toopers when they want to be. That is why they spent 3 hours cleaning their rooms today...how exhausting can that be? (sarcastic of course)

5 comments:

  1. It is so hard to teach kids to work, but my parents always worked with us and expected it of us. There wasn't a reward or a punishment--it was just part of being our family. Didn't stop the complaints (from me especially...ashamed to admit it...), but we all eventually learned to do it. We helped with the canning (younger kids could peel peaches or tomatoes), the gardening (early morning bean-picking), cleaning of course, and many other projects. But we were all asked to be out there, to do our best, and to be a part of the family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm. I'm jealous. That looks yummy!

    All I know is what worked for my siblings. We shared a room, and when it was time to clean it, we played church mouse. I was the church mouse, and they were the.... nuns? No idea. But the basic premise was this: I would clean up a few items or make the beds or something, then hide in the closet and squeak. When they came in, they would say, "What was that noise I heard.. OH! The beds are made! I don't remember making the beds! Who could have done that? How nice. But oohh... there's still toys on the floor... I don't have time to worry about that now. There's so much to do!" Until I had cleaned everything up. Then the last part was, "OH! There are little mouse footprints in the dust! I'll leave this dust rag here, and see what happens. Maybe it was a mouse! I'll bring back a treat." And after I had dusted and hid myself, they would come in and leave a little plate with crackers, cheese, and raisins. Yeah, I know now that they were off playing in between and just using me, but I didn't mind then, so why should I now? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Crystal! I think this has to be the busiest time of year for you. Those are really good ideas for kids to be excited to help. Sometimes I get frustrated and want to just do everything myself, or force cooperation. The other day Shayden said, "what is cooperate?" Getting ready for school is almost a constant struggle. Thanks for the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome stuff man you make being a kid sound fun over there

    ReplyDelete
  5. So far the only work my 13 month old has learned to do is to put away his shoes, but thanks for all the future ideas!

    ReplyDelete